Monday, January 20, 2014

Kitchen Essentials

Lets talk kitchen helpers, mainly EQUIPMENT! I did not grow up in a home with a lot of cooking. My grandmother was a good cook, but I don't have too many memories of cooking with her. Maybe that is why I like it so much now. This is where I can be creative and relax. I don't start a lot of recipes from scratch. I find interesting ones online and I 'make them my own' by adding/removing ingredients and playing around.

I was pretty intimidated by cooking, but I learned that I learn best by jumping in: trying, tasting and being ready to mess it up. It also really helps having a smartphone so I can look up any technique, ingredient, and kitchen utensil right there on the spot.

So, without further adieu - here are the kitchen essentials that I have collected over time that make the jobs much easier...and much more successful. My favorite stores for securing gadgets that often have good sales are Sur Le TableCrate & Barrel, and Bed/Bath/Beyond.

Slow cooker - this one is pretty sleek so when I take it to parties it looks nice

Cast iron skillet

Good Cookware - Great for sauces, stews, braising, anything!

A very good roasting pan

Portion cups for prepping

Standing Mixer

Food Processor

A good zester

A good oven & meat thermometer

Mortar & Pestle

A variety of good knives - I prefer Wusthof
Santoku, Chefs, Carving, Bread, Paring, Utility, Steak
My family - 1 husband & 2 pups
My husband is a great sous chef and the dogs are great vacuums! 



No comments:

Post a Comment