Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuna Salad with Dill and Jalapeño



So its pouring snow here in Kansas City, and I am having a snow day! First off, snow days aren't what they used to be. Unfortunately today I didn't play in the now, eat grilled cheese w/ tomato soup, nor did I drink hot chocolate.  But I did stroll down memory lane a bit when I made tuna salad today. My family often made tuna salad and they lovingly called them 'tuna bombers'. I think the term stemmed from us packing so much salad on the bread it was going to be a 'gut bomb'. Yeah - we are weird. 

Tuna salad isn't anything fancy, but its a staple at our house now. I always have the ingredients for it and we make it a lot.  I love it. I take it work since I usually eat at my desk, my husband loves it, you can put it on sandwiches, green leaf salads, pasta salad, eat it w/ crackers, eat it by itself, whatever! If its going to be a staple, then it should be delicious right? So I took that tuna salad from my childhood and pumped it up a bit. I think its delicious and hope you do too. :)


Snowy Tuesday that started us down the tuna salad path

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 cans of albacore tuna in water
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tbsp diced pickled jalapeños
  • 3 diced pickle slices (I use the long sandwich slices or you can use 2 large spears. The slices are easier to get an even dice) 
  • 2 green onions sliced into extremely thin rings (only use the section from the white base halfway up the stalk - using more of the white part than the green)
  • 3 tbsp light mayo 
  • 3 tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1 tbsp dried dill
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt + more on hand for final seasoning


DIRECTIONS:

  1. Boil the 3 eggs until hard boiled. Put eggs into cold water and once the water begins to boil, set timer to 7 minutes. Keep boil at a soft rolling boil to ensure eggs don't crack in the process. 
  2. Pull eggs off heat at 7 minute boiling mark and leave in water for 3 more minutes. Dump out most of hot water and run lukewarm water over eggs until they are cool enough to handle. 
  3. Starting with one egg only, peel and slice in half to ensure the eggs are done. chop and set aside. 
  4. If eggs are done, chop and set aside. 
    • If eggs are not done, toss other eggs into microwave for no more than 15-30 seconds to ensure they are done. After 7 boiling minutes they should just need a bit of a push. 
  5. Strain canned tuna from water, and put into bowl. Using a fork, break apart large chunks. 
  6. To the tuna add the chopped green onion, pickle and jalapeno.
  7. To the bowl add the remaining ingredients - mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, dill. 
  8. Mix well and taste. Tuna salad is great since you cant really mess it up. Add any more ingredients you aren't tasting or you would like to taste more of.
  9. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
  10. If serving a sandwich, toast the bread and load up with tuna salad. 
Enjoy!

Ingredients
Step 1: Boiling eggs
Step 3 - checking for doneness
Step 3 - chopping eggs
Step 5: Tuna out of can, strained and broken up. 
Chopping green onions
Step 6: Adding green onion, pickle & jalapeno
Step 8: Mixed tuna salad - time to refrigerate!
Step 10: Sandwich presentation

1 comment:

  1. I must say this "new and improved" version looks yummy! Yay tuna bombers!

    ReplyDelete